Our website uses cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.
(Do not show this message again)

Shout99.com - Freelancers Outside IR35

To Print this page select Print from the File menu.
Please use your browser Back button to return to Shout99.com


Itinerant trader travel expenses
by Vic25 at 14:49 02/03/18 (Ask-Legal-Accounting)
Query about whether I am could be considered an itinerant trader and therefore claim for certain travel expenses.
Hi there,

I am a yoga therapist who operates out of 3 different health clinics, teaches set public classes at 3 different venues and also sees a number of private clients at their homes in various parts of the county.

Two of the clinics I go to are on fairly set days/times for 2-3 hours as is the case for the public venues I teach at during the week for 1-2 hours at a time. The other clinic and the private clients I go to are on a much more ad-hoc basis usually for an hour at a time. Week-to-week my schedule is pretty varied and changeable and at the moment I may do 2-3 trips a day but often from home to a client or clinic and back to home in the morning and then a similar sort of trip later in the afternoon/evening.

I do all of the day-to-day running of my business from home including client paperwork, accounts, marketing etc.

My question is whether I could be considered an itinerant trader in the eyes of HMRC? Can I claim for travel between home and work?

Many thanks in advance for you help!


This article was printed from Shout99.com
Copyright 1999-2015 Shout99 Ltd
All Rights Reserved